Friday, October 14, 2016

The Casuals 1964 from Jim Myers


Here’s one for your nostalgia collection:  This is our old folk singing group, “The Casuals,” taken in March of 1964 shortly before we performed in “Showboat.”  I shot this with my phone off the cover of an old issue of “Hornet’s Nest,” that Cinda gave me at the reunion, and was able to sharpen it up a bit, enlarge it and get rid of the yellowish cast of the newsprint. It’s not great, but it’s the only photo I have of the old group. 

Left to right:  Joe Geiss - senior; Jim Myers - sophomore; Mark Hoffman - senior; Bob Sudmyer - junior; and Dave Buchanan - senior.  The following year the 3 seniors were all gone, but Sudsy and I soldiered on by adding Bob and Tom Gwynn to the group.  Tad Collins occasionally played banjo with us, too, if he wasn’t busy with his own group, called, “The Pompey Hollow Potlickers.”

I’ve done a lot of music since, and it’s all been enjoyable, but I think those days singing with those guys were the most musical fun I ever had!

Jim Myers