Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas with my mother




I debated for days whether to bring my mother to our house for Christmas day. I finally decided a few hours would be all right even though I would have to drive 100 miles in total to do this. One roung trip is 50 miles. Unfortunately it had started to snow. By the time I was almost home, the streets were treacherous. But we eventually made it.


My mother was fine. Happy and smiling. We had lunch. I decided against a big meal, I didn't think that would work. About 3 o'clock we decided to make the trip back to my mother's residence. She didn't want to go. She thought she was home. Couldn't get her coat on. Couldn't get her into the car. All the way back she wanted John to stop the car so she could get out and go home. This was difficult. Once back at Dolan House she was all right. The aides was very helpful and got her situated.


For people with Dementia, change is very difficult so actually doing this was not a good idea for the disruption it caused my mother.