Friday, January 13, 2012

Harrowing Experience

I had an awful experience on Wednesday. I walked my 2 Labs and let them off their leashes as we walked up the driveway. I do this everyday. They love to run around and chase each other and then we go inside. That did not happen. I saw the male Lab run over to the run off ravine and disappear. The other Lab followed. I thought they would run right back. But they didn't. I never saw them again. I didn't hear a thing. Not a leaf crunch or a twig snap. Nothing.

For the next hour I called, walked and drove around looking for them. Finally, almost 3 hours later, the phone rang with those words --" I think I have your dogs. They killed one of my chickens. Do you let your dogs run wild?" I was despairing when I got the call so I had to listen carefully and explain it was quite the opposite. That they had run away probably on a scent.

Anyway. I got them back. Got them home and gave them both baths. And was just so grateful. The woman said if I hadn't had their names on the tags she wouldn't have called but she realized they were not neighborhood dogs. She wouldn't let me pay for the chicken since it had just cost them a $1. There is also the big fear someone will just keep them or drive away with them. I just shudder to think about that.