Sunday, August 25, 2013

Melinda Mussi Lockwood

 
Not too much to report here. We do have chickens now – Golden Comet is the breed. We purchased twelve in March (folks told us to get more than we wanted as we would lose some–we did not). We are averaging ten eggs a day now so I am in the egg business on a small scale. I am selling to a faculty member in the department and will be adding one more customer this week. I make enough to cover the cost of feed and I am fine with that.
 
Our garden has been terrific this year. We have more peppers that I would have imagined possible so we will be having pickled peppers through the winter and beyond. Tomatoes, corn, eggplant, beans, carrots, green and red peppers abound. 
We are all healthy which is a blessing. I am having rotator cuff surgery in a couple of weeks and am dreading it. I fell a few years ago and tore my right rc. The surgery was difficult and recovery was horrific but that should is back to 100%. I tore my left one a year ago in April. I was helping a friend assemble a garment rack, lifted the top, turned, ouch! Went for an x-ray and was told it was a soft tissue injury and so went for physical therapy for a time. Did not work. Finally capitulated and went back to my orthopedic "guy." His email to me after seeing my MRI was, and I quote, "Melinda, you have a tear. A hug tear. When do you want to take care of it." Surgeons are not noted for having particular good bedside manners and he lives up to the reputation. He is terrific though and I do actually like him very much. Sugery is slated for September 11. I meet with the anesthesiology group next week. Whoopee.
Our fall canoe race, the Perche Creek Fall Five is coming up October 12 and it is looking like we will have another excellent turnout this year. We run two races a year; one in March and one in October. Sort of bookends to the racing season. We had the US Junior Olympic canoe team in the spring and the coach conducted a short coaching session following the race. We also welcome kayakers and SUP (Stand Up Paddling) participants. Our fall race is a two mile run and three mile canoe/kayak/SUP sprint. Great fun for the whole family.
By and large, life is good here in Columbia. Hope this is enough info for now.
 
Take care.
M