Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ralph Braun


Hope you are okay with all the flooding down your way. It sounds monumental. It's been a winter to remember here in Madison too. Record snowfall, ice and cold. We had one storm that started out as two inches of rain and then a foot of snow on top. The whole area was a mess with some of the worst driving I've ever seen and the temps were in the basement for weeks (below zero, mostly) so nothing got any better, the roads had 6 inch deep trenches to drive in for most of February . On the day of one of the worst storms, I couldn't make it to work and was clearing the driveway with a CAT D8, pay loader ,10,000 horsepower stem shovel, nuclear powered, snow obliterator, when Carol came out of the shower covered in shampoo (reminded me of a wet, mad hen) to tell me there was no water. Sure enough the pump had quit 110 feet down in the well. It took 3 hours just to chisel away enough ice to see the well head. We were fortunate to find a company that pulled out the pump and replaced it the same day. I felt bad for the fellows out in sub-zero temps getting soaked but they did a great job. I just had to shovel fifty dollar bills down the hole. You have to keep laughing or it will overtake you. Married life is going very well despite the trials of winter (clips from "The Shining" did come to mind occasionally though). Carol took a week and went to Florida to see her daughter and returned last night. I stayed here with the dog who also has cabin fever. It looks like we are warming a bit . One of the four Wisconsin seasons is over, known as "SNOW" now we can start another "MUD" followed by "MOSQUITOS" and then we get to my favorite, FALL, which really is nice except that it is followed again by "SNOW." We are discussing finding some property in Florida to afford us some relief from this changing climate in the future. I really don't remember winter being this bad in north west Montana or upstate NY.
Really all is well and very busy at work. Sure wish I was in a position to retire NOW.
It's very nice to hear that Dick Shanahan has some help along his rough road. I wish him the best.
Remember, this is all in jest and life is but a joke. I hope you are well.
Talk to you soon.
Ralph