Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More from Larry English


You are right, there is a LOT of new information. Thanks for all of the work, it must be a big “part time” job to keep it all going.

Moved my son Justin into his new house in Durham, NC the weekend of 7/26. Loaded a U-Haul up here in Manlius with some of his stuff. Drove to Bethesda, MD to pick up the rest of his stuff from his year at the NIH. Collapsed at a very nice Marriot down the street. I really did not want to walk into the lobby as we were both quite dirty and very sweaty, I think that is a generational thing, my son had no reservations at all… so I let him check us in. Drove to Durham, NC the next day and unloaded everything. I will tell you this, Stickley’s mission Oak sleeper sofa is lined with lead, I thought I would have a heart attack carrying that in.

Last Saturday (8/2) drove down to NYC to get my daughter Lindsey on a plane to Dhaka, Bangladesh to visit two of her friends from Ithaca College. The trip turned out to be a trial, she was supposed to depart NYC at 2:55 PM, due to terrible thunderstorms she did not actually leave until 5:05 AM on Sunday. Not a lot of fill in flights to Hong Kong. Then as a result of the scheduling issues she had a 14 hour layover in Hong Kong, so I got her a hotel room and she slept., too well it turns out. She was supposed to pick up her replacement tickets at 5 PM Hong Kong time (5 AM our time), I decided to call at 5:40 AM our time just to check, she was sound asleep. Good thing Dad is so.. I think the word that they use is not proper for the blog. Then she called me at 6:30 PM her time to tell me the “good” news that she had been able to get a replacement flight on Bimon Air which left 2 hours earlier than her Cathay Pacific flight that I had booked. On a nice DC10 none the less. Bimon Air has such a poor safety record that the FAA won’t allow them to fly into the US and the DC10 stopped being made in 1988. I thought of Bob Newhart’s Grace L. Ferguson Storm Door and Airline Company skit!! So I prayed for 3 hours and 40 minutes that she would actually make it. The concept that one airline is not just like the rest never occurred to her. Not sure what she will do in Dhaka for 14 days during the rainy season, but I simply could not talk her out of it. Having experienced it myself when I was in Viet Nam I know that what WE call rain is a sprinkle compared to what they get.

Will let you know how it turns out.

That’s all the news from our corner of Manlius. Still drive by the old school often, to think that we were the first class through there 46 years ago makes me feel VERY old!!