Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thoughts on Paul Hale by Ralph Braun


I'm saddened to hear of Paul's passing. We were friends from the first school years on.We were in the 4-H together and sometimes rode the same buses. I remember him as a gentle bear of a guy with a very powerful grip.
 As some might recall, there was an area behind the "new" high school where people could light up, I don't think that lasted very long but was there when we were freshmen. Paul would come out just to socialize but didn't smoke if I remember correctly. There was a person there every day who insisted on making fun of Paul and his slight speech impediment and the fact that he had to work in the cow barn every morning, bringing those smells with him to school. The verbal harassment was ongoing and constant but Paul, being a benevolent, kind hearted soul, chose to ignore it until one day he had had enough. He warned "Wayne" that he was fed up, "Wayne" didn't listen and kept on with his brand of "humor", We all know how cruel people could sometimes be in high school. Now, "Wayne" always wore pointy toed shiny black shoes, that were known in those non politically correct days, as Puerto Rican fence climbers,for the way you could climb a chain link fence by sticking the pointed toes in the links.Paul usually wore big heavy engineer boots with a minor coating of cow manure and I remember it was a cold day (you can see what's coming right ?) In one quick stride up close to his adversary, Paul brought the heel of his steel toed boot down ,hard, squarely onto the exact middle of "Wayne s" instep. That action, I'm sure was a defining moment in "Wayne s" life and the ensuing howling was something that stays with me today. I recall seeing "Wayne" limping along the hallways for weeks after that. Paul, never again, was the source of harassment by "Wayne" or anybody else for that matter. I was proud that Paul stood up for himself without the use of fists, that might have Killed "Wayne.
I remember this all with a shade of humor now, but I don't believe "Wayne" does, wherever he is.
I hope you don't find this offensive, it's meant to be a warmhearted remembrance of Paul.
Be Well
Ralph