Monday, February 20, 2023

Ed Siegenthaler

 

A new chapter in my life is keeping me busy with more traveling everywhere.  Last March I ventured to Tennessee to pick a puppy for my daughter.  This is the same breeder we have used for years.  The puppy is a black and white Springer Spaniel.  At 6 weeks old she rode back to Florida with ease.

 A couple months later I met up with my brothers and sister to visit the Arc in Kentucky.  Very interesting the size of the Arc and the interest of people visiting.  This past fall I visited some good friends from the service, spending a couple days reminiscing of years past.  It was sad to learn that one had just recently passed.
  
I drove over to Rochester to visit a couple cousins and check to see how the family is doing. After spending a few days there talking about growing up in New York.  Headed to Fayetteville to visit with my wife's aunt.  Spent a couple days talking about the family history.  I created a family tree with 1900 relatives on all sides of my family.  We have uncovered so much history and have shared it with all the family members.

I planned a trip with my son and his wife through South America.  We traveled thru Belize, Guatemala, Panama and to Peru.  Visited Cusco and the Sacred Valley and the home of the Inca's.  Some of these sites were created before the Inca habited the area.  We got the opportunity to travel to the top of Machu Picchu an area where the high Inca priests would travel to get in contact with their high spirits.  It was interesting to find that that mountain top was only about 6000 feet in elevation and the Sacred Valley was about 10,000 - 13,000 feet.

We also visited the headwaters of the Amazon located in Andes at about 18,000 - 20,000 feet.  At that elevation the glacier melts and the water forms the headwaters of the Amazon.  
Continuing to live in Kissimmee, Florida where I volunteer at Give Kids the World.  The boy scout troop where both my grandsons both achieved Eagle I continue help.  

This keeps me busy when I'm not working with the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club searching for old relicts among other items.  There are many space launches to watch and it is very interesting to see the first stage Jettisoned and return to the launch site.  

This past weekend the scouts did a campout over the weekend at South Port County park where they held the farmers market.  The boys volunteered in helping set up and taking down signs and what was needed by the venders as well as helping individuals take their packages to their vehicles.

I am looking forward to traveling back to Ireland and visit family friends for a week or so.  From there I have got a couple places that should be very interesting.  


Ed Siegenthaler