Sunday, November 25, 2007

David Milan

Hi Debby,
No, I haven't drowned in Lake Coeur d'Alene, although it seems like my job has done that. It's been very busy around here, and my commute to and from work is ... um ... "fun?" More like challenging. It's the first job I've had in a long time where I commute on the freeway with the normal flow of traffic. It's usually fairly good with only a couple of places where it slows, but I'm waiting for the first big snow fall (which is predicted this week) to see how that goes. The first one is always the fun one with folks forgetting how to drive on the slippery stuff. I can't wait! The transition to life in CDA has been wonderful. We're having a great time together, and my work is interesting. I do miss my son and his family, especially my grandchildren, but I plan to visit on a very regular basis. The plane fare is fairly cheap, and it's only an hour flight. So it's mostly been work and sleep. The weekends seem to fly by, and Kristi and I stay very busy with workouts at the gym and some fun stuff. We went to see James Taylor in Spokane and it was terrific. He's one of my all-time favorites, and he didn't disappoint. Naturally, I had to buy a JT baseball cap to commemorate the occasion, and Kristi bought a t-shirt so we'll remember the fun time we had. Thanksgiving was fun, and especially so because my brother is recovering from his near-death experience. I called him on Thurs morning and was heartened to hear that he's back on his feet and getting around by himself. He even went to the grocery store, and he's been going out to dinner with his lady friend. Something to be truly grateful for this Thanksgiving. My younger son Jesse was planning on coming to visit us here in CDA for Thanksgiving. He was going to drive in on Wed night and leave on Fri afternoon, because he had to be back to play at a winery south of Portland on Sat. After he had a chance to think about it, he realized that he would be spending almost as much time on the road as he would have spent with us, so he canceled. Pretty smart, actually, especially at this time of year when the weather is unpredictable. Kristi's kids are here in town, though, and her grandkids are as well, so we all got together and had fun. We went to her son's house for Turkey Day and they came over to our house last evening. Her son doesn't cook turkey, so we had prime rib on Thurs, and we cooked the turkey yesterday for a traditional followup dinner. We also watched the Boise State Broncos get beat by Hawaii for the WAC championship. Good thing I don't live in Boise anymore. Well, I'd better get going. Hope all is well with you and your family.
Dave