Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Larry English



Well OK… I admit it, I have not looked at the blog in a while.
I did just now and you are doing an impressive job. Who would have guessed that a kid who had never even heard of a computer in high school could do so well in her “older age”. I guess it just shows you that we can STILL learn.
Working hard, our flooring business is establishing new shipment and production records weekly. We feel blessed, the rest of our industry is not doing as well. The hard part is that it requires constant attention and a lot of hours. I really did not expect to be working this hard at age 60. I had more envisioned sailing the Caribbean and drinking champagne, as a profession. Once we get ourselves into these leadership jobs it is not that easy to extricate yourself.
Yes 60… well, not news to the class of ’66 crowd, we could get a group discount on old age cards this year. Had a wonderful celebration in January with my family and friends. I try not to focus too much on getting older. I don’t feel 60… yet.
My son Justin is on a cruise this week to Mexico. He got accepted to several graduate schools, narrowed it down to Dartmouth and NC State at Chapel Hill. He wisely picked the warm climate of NC. He is planning to get engaged soon, to the girl that he has been dating since 7th grade! That doesn’t happen too often these days. My daughter is heading to Bangladesh this August to visit two friends from Ithaca College. I am not at all sure about this. Political unrest, flooding and half way around the world. She is an adventurer and nothing that I can say will stop her. Hope the cobra’s don’t get her!!
Our family is headed to Paris for 8 days on July 11th. We have rented a marvelous house just across the Seine River from the Louvre, should be a great location. We have a friend who lives in Paris, he is going to be our tour guide. Everyone is excited. I have been there 4 other times, but for the kids this is their first trip. Our friend Antoine stayed with us for the summer of 2001 and 2002, he is also excited that we are coming.
Went to Stuttgart, Munich and Salzburg last month, visiting equipment manufacturers for our new higher volume flooring line. Boy they drive FAST in Germany, I have been there twice in the last year and I just can’t force my foot down on the accelerator that far. You have to keep up, but when they get over 150 KH (93 MPH) I just can’t take it. Everything was passing me.
Looking forward to the warmer weather and getting back into the yard work.

Have a nice summer.


Larry