Sunday, August 2, 2009

Debby

My mother's memory is down to nano seconds now. She seems happy and content in the Dolan Residential Care home. There are 9 residents in this house -- 7 singles and 1 couple. Each person has their own room. All other facilities have you share a room. Each person has some form of dementia. It's quite a world to enter.
You have to use a code to get in the door. My mother has no desire to go out at all. There's a fenced in backyard with a lovely porch. We sit out there most days and enjoy the air, when it isn't too humid. Sometimes I bring one of my dogs.
The desire to read and even watch TV is not there. A year ago my mother was glued to the TV for all the election coverage. Now she only watches golf matches.
I've seen a remarkable improvement since she has gotten individual care and attention. She no longer uses a wheelchair, but a walker. In April when I moved here she was not communicating much. Now she talks and laughs and even helps take care of some of the other residents.
It's been an interesting transition.