Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Debby Larus Doolittle

After my last trip to NC to see me mother, I made the decision to move her to Missouri to be close to me. I've found an assisted living facility about 7 miles from our home. Not easy to move an 89 year old.
First I have to fly back to NC, rent a car, drive to Pinehurst. Then I will pack all of her clothes. On Sunday we will fly out of RDU airport and be back in St. Louis in a couple of hours. Sounds pretty simple but it's way more complicated.
With Dementia you have to constantly go over the same simple things. Plus I will have 2 suitcases and I will have to get wheel chair assistance at the airport. Once air borne who knows.
Well, it's a big decision and a costly decision, but in the long run, I will be able to see my mother regularly rather than once every couple of months. The moving of her possessions from her apartment is another whole event. I'm getting estimates on packing, loading, transporting, and unloading. Not easy or cheap, but necessary. It's been a learning experience. I'm having to do things I never expected so I have to stay organized and in control.