Friday, May 1, 2009

BSOD

BSOD -- blue screen of death
This is what is called a computer failure when you get the blue screen. It means you're screwed. It happened to me last week. I downloaded some screen saver and then decided to remove it. I went to the control panel and to the add/remove button. I couldn't find the screen saver program but I decided to remove some "rarely used programs." Do not do this. I did something to the software mix and the next morning when I turned the computer on I couldn't get Windows to start up.
I started reading my "help" books and they confirmed my fears. I unplugged everything and too the tower to Best Buy Geeks. I had to wait until the store opened. I stood outside with the computer and waited. Mr. Geek said we'll charge you $199 to fix everything or you can "recover" it yourself. He confirmed BLUE SCREEN.
I went home. For the next many, many hours I proceeded to recover and reload programs and get my stuff back. I lost my Internet connection software with ATT and now use IE8. I had to reload Word and just about everything else. I do run backup but it's coded and I wasn't sure how to retrieve it.
So I'm pretty much back now. The blog was not effected except I have to redo a lot of my photo storage. It's not in the order I had it in.
So, a word to the wise == do not remove software in the add/remove section unless you are certain you will not destroy everything and get BSOD.
Debby