Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I tried...

I sent a message to about 40 people today -- have heard back from 2.

Many of us face turmoil these days. I am dealing with my 89 year old Mother who has dementia. I was seeing her everyday but recently moved her to another assisted living facility about 25 miles away. She needed more care and fortunately I found a small residential care center for her. She has her own room which is big in the elderly world of care. Most are shared spaces. I thought it was important for my mother to maintain a level of privacy. She is doing so much better in this facility. I see her less often each week but when we're together there is more conversation now. When I moved her in April she was using a wheel chair and barely speaking. Now just a few weeks later, she is using the walker again and laughing and doing much better. She's also put on 10 pounds. So even though this was a difficult time for me -- moving her again -- she is better for it.
I am trying to rebound from a bout with bronchitis which is going on now for 3 weeks. I thought I had broken a rib from all the coughing. My primary care doctor referred me to the ER -- his office did not want to treat people with flu like symptoms. At the time I had a fever, chills and congestion. So it was 2 hours in the ER. Am still on antibiotics. It's been tough to get rid of. Then my husband John came down with something similar over the weekend. He's rebounding from that now.
Well, I hope everyone is doing all right. Hope to hear from more of you.
Thanks to Larry English and Kirsten Fleisher for responding.
Debby