Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sandy Jackson Epoch


Hi Everyone,


I have been retired from NYS Parks and Recreation since 2005. Both my parents died before I retired and I remember balancing work and sharing the care they both needed. I wish my parents could have met this wonderful grandchild I have. My retirement plans changed when Dylan was born. That's why I am in Texas and not in Wilmington, NC, where I originally wanted to retire. Dylan and I have become so close that my trips to San Diego get shorter and shorter. He will be 4 in September and will need major surgery before he enters kindergarden. SO until he recovers and enters kindergarden, I will be here for him and his mom. He has pectus excavatum . He has an indented chest line where the upper chest was not totally developed and the severity will increase so that he will have trouble running, playing sports, etc. He has so much energy right now, it is difficult to believe he will run out of it little by little. We were at the park the other day and he met a 35 year old father who shared his chest view with Dylan. He did not have surgery because it wasn't available 30 years ago and wished that it was. Dylan's surgeon is very positive and Scott and White Children's Hospital is one of the best. My biggest concern is that the heart area is better protected after surgery. The one thing that will be very difficult after the Surgery is keeping him down for several weeks during his recovery. Thank you for listening and I wish those of you who are helping with parents or other family members all the best whatever the situation.


Anyway the rest of my summer is quite busy. San Diego for 2 weeks in July, Syracuse for a wedding in September and back to San Diego for 3 weeks in October. Then it is Austin until at least May or June after Dylan's recovery.


Have a great summer and keep on posting!!!!!!
Sandy Jackson Epoch