Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Kirsten Mackey Fleisher

Hello, everyone! I am caught in the same squeeze as many of you....Dad passed away almost five years ago, after a ten month, terrible battle with cancer. Mom (who will be 86 next month) did very well on her own, managing a condo in Florida and a summer cottage in Ohio - until she fell last June and broke her hip. I have so much admiration for her ability to fight back and make an almost full recovery...almost full. However, she has not yet tried living on her own again. I spent last summer in Florida helping her through rehabilitation, and then she came to live with me for the Fall. She spent the winter at her condo with a caregiver, and is now back with me until school wraps up and we can make our way to the cottage. Now, I don't want to mislead any of you by thinking that we never have irritations - or even minor conflict! That said, my bottom line is that I am blessed to have the opportunity to take care of my mother while she needs the help and companionship. I've learned a lot about her, and myself throughout this time. I am hoping that I will be able to look back at this period of my life with few regrets.