Sunday, June 14, 2009

Linda Craig Cummings

I have three more days before I get vacation. It will be partially filled with getting my 88 year old father to his various doctor's appointment. He lives in an independent/assisted living home about a mile from my house. It is a blessing that they will take him to four appointments a month but we have already used them up this month and he still has many appointments to come. He is basically healthy but has bad knees and has difficulty walking. When he falls, it is hard to get him back up again. In a week and a half, my daughter and I (plus the two grandchildren) will fly to Colorado to do the Avon Breast Cancer walk. As you know, my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer last July and is doing well after the bilateral mastectomy. We are on the five year watch at this point. I recently did an art show with other art teachers whose lives have been touched by breast cancer. It is amazing the stories that come out as we have raised money for the walk. On the plus size, it has been fun to see six of my paintings hanging in a gallery. On the positive side also, I am thankful to have a job. With the budget cuts in Florida to education, art and music have been on the cutting block. We are fortunate in our district to have kept art and music fairly strong. We did lose a few art positions. As the Fine Arts Coordinator, it was important to advocate for the arts with the community and with the school. Life has been very busy. Linda