Monday, November 14, 2011

Ken Jacobs

Here's an update for the last 45 years!
I went to RPI after HS and majored in physics , dropping out in my sixth semester. Wandered around awhile and got drafted but not sent to ‘Nam like my brother Frank (who went directly from the Jesuits to a foxhole). Instead I was sent to Korea and worked on guided missiles. After military wandered around some more, got married and moved to NC where I built from scratch a 3 story house on 5 acres, (including chopping down trees and whittling them into exposed beams). Got divorced, became Pentecostal, got remarried, had two children, and started working at East Carolina University Physics Dept. in technical support. In 1999 there was a major hurricane (Floyd) and had to wade away from house with both children on my back, eventually enough water to flood attic.
Got new house (thanks to your taxes) and recently received my PhD in biophysics at tender age of 62. Dissertation was Development a Diffraction Imaging Flow Cytometer for which a patent is pending with my portion 30% . High tech startup is being attempted but machine has never really worked, perhaps never will, and also certain Chinese in our group would rather the technology went to their side of Pacific. My son is out of college and working, my daughter is in third year at UNC Greensboro, and I’m teaching physics and doing research.
Hope all is well with FMers of ’66.
Ken Jacobs
2266 Meadowglenn Road
Greenville, NC 27858
252-328-6741