Friday, November 21, 2008

Debby Larus Doolittle

Well, this is about my 89 year old Mother. She fell yesterday. The words you do not want to hear. I was just about to start working out when my cell phone rang and I heard those words. "your Mother has fallen and is on the way to the hospital in an ambulance." Turns out she was going out the door to lunch and fell on her right side hitting the front of her head which produced a 3 inch laceration.
I made it to the hospital a little after the ambulance. After standing around for sometime, as one tends to do in the hospital, they eventually paid attention to us. She was taken care of with a CT scan and sutures. Twelve to be exact. I then took her back to her apartment.
I convinced her she would be more comfortable in bed resting. With her Dementia she was having trouble processing all of this.
I saw her this morning and she was doing all right. Now I have to convince her to start using a walker for stability and eating to regain her health.
Unfortunately this puts a damper on Thanksgiving. But I am very thankful she did not break anything especially her hip or arm. So I will have to do a bit more running back and forth to make sure everything is OK. In assisted living they do not do any nursing. Either the family or a private nurse must look after the resident.