Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Lynne Gibson Lovett

I'm so sorry to have been a non-contributor. I looked at the blog in the late summer and spent the better part of a morning reading through it. I so enjoyed reading about everyone, recalling pieces of the old days, and marveling at where life has taken people - it was such a trip down Memory La. I was determined to send you a blurb about me and my family, and now it's 3 months later!
So here goes: Our home is in Cape Elizabeth, Maine - but we've had an apartment in Jersey City, NJ for the past year and a half due to my husband, EJ, consulting with a hospital system in the area. We've loved the juxtaposed city mouse/country mouse life, though I must say I have felt like I don't "live" anywhere (except in my car). We have amazing views of Manhattan, the Hudson, Ellis Isl. and the Statue of Liberty from our 15th floor apartment. We have loved time spent in NYC and being in close proximity to our daughter, Meghan, and her family in Norwalk CT and my brother in Bucks County, PA. we're nearing the end of that gig and will be full-time Mainers again in February.
Meghan gave birth to her second child, Timothy, in October. I spent a couple of weeks with them after Timothy's arrival and love my role of mother/grandmother. Meg's daughter, Mary Kate, who is 29 months, calls me "GG" (for Grammy and Gib - my husband has always called me "Gib"). She's a wonderful and loving big sister, taking her job of showing Timmy how to suck his thumb very seriously. I cannot believe how much I love grandmothering these two little bugs.
All our family is coming to Maine for Thanksgiving - Meghan and her gang, Daniel from the west coast with his GF, who we hope will soon be an in-law; Timothy and his fiancee, both living in Portland (ME); and Ernie (became our "son" at age 17) and also lives here; my brother and his wife, Gayle, who is Joyce Powell's older sister. Thanks to this family connection, I do enjoy time with Joyce (and her husband, Peter) every year or so. Who would have ever thought 42 years ago that we'd be "family"!
So those are the recent highlights of my life. I'm looking forward to rejoining my Maine community and resuming my volunteer work in Haiti and the multicultural community in Portland.
If any of you find your way to Maine, I'd love to hear from you and get together.
Best wishes to everyone,
Lynne Gibson