Friday, November 7, 2008

Sue Bon Walden



I occasionally check the FM Class of "66 to read about all the things our former classmates are up to. I find it fascinating and entertaining. On Monday I looked and was shocked and saddened that Dave Milan had died. Was this a sudden thing or had he been ill? Please extend my condolences to his wife and family. I didn't know Dave well of course, but it hits harder when a contemporary passes away. I seem to have read that he sent news not all that long ago, a photo of himself and a grandchild I think, and said that he was doing well. I was sorry to hear the news.
Two weeks ago I went to Staunton, VA (the mountains.) My friend, Jean, who is from there, and two other women friends went too. Weird as it may sound, we stayed at a B&B which was very nice, with two bedrooms and a sitting room with one bath. It was sparsely furnished and not as elegant as I expected considering the expense. Jean used to ride a school bus with a couple of Statler brothers - of "Flowers On The Wall" fame. She said they were nasty foul-mouth youths, but apparently had an 'awakening' as they grew more famous and cleaned up their public persona. Jean did undergrad work at Mary Baldwin College, which was directly across the street from where we stayed. On the way up we had a two course lunch at a winery in Gordonsville - $60- wine included, gratuity not. We actually did a lot of wine, food, shopping over the weekend, and meeting Jean's grandchildren, of whom she speaks of often. Steve drove down to take care of our dog here in Williamsburg.
Last weekend I went to an estate auction at a plantation built in the 1700's in Providence Forge, about a 30 minute drive from here. There were lots of good deals. However, I have a house and Steve's apartment full of good deals. I did buy a pretty hanging corner cupboard, but I have to work on the interior a little, then move framed pictures, etc. before I hang it. The house I have is apparently the "ever popular 'open' plan" which results in fewer walls and corners.
The presidential election: WOW! A historic moment for sure. Although we didn't know him, Obama attended Punaho, a private high school in Honolulu when we were at Hickam AFB. I voted. That's about all I can say. I'm just glad the election is over. I think just about all of our government leaders are crazy!
Well, thanks for letting me go on here. I hope things with you and your family are going well. I look forward to reading more about what everyone is up to. Take care now.
Sue (Bon) Walden