Monday, July 14, 2008

Sue Bon Walden


Hey Debby: I have so enjoyed reading current news of fellow classmates from '66. It looks like you have devoted a lot of time to keeping everything going and I'm sure all your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Things here in VA are going well. Steve still continues to work with a private contractor for the FAA in the DC area and still commutes from there to Williamsburg. My dog (Lucy) and I keep things semi-organized at the house.
I have taken a few steps back from my volunteering at the hospital. I declined our president's request to continue my position on the board as a sign of protest - not that many people noticed. I was having trouble from our president to obtain funding for a Pediatric Gift Bag project that I worked for a year on. This project wasn't even my idea but I was willing to implement it. Things seem to get so political, especially when money is involved. They voted to spend $100,000 on a small "Healing Garden" a few years ago to be paid for over five years, but our president had a lot of heartburn about an annual sum of $1,000 to purchase coloring books, crayons, etc. (from the Dollar Store no less) to keep little kids entertained when they were admitted. After nearly seven years working on every fund-raiser (president for one year-and had no clue what was involved) I had had enough. Steve and I still sold tickets for the annual 4th of July Ice Cream Social held in the Wren Yard and the College of William & Mary, right next to Colonial Williamsburg. This is one of the major fund-raisers and by all accounts quite successful despite the heat and light drizzle.
Steve and I have rented an ocean front house on the Outer Banks, NC in September for a weeks vacation. We like to go down there at that time of year because all the kids are back to school, the eateries are less crowded, and the rent is less. However, it is hurricane season and we were forced to evacuate when Floyd blew through. Steve, a meteorologist, of course knows the timing is risky so we pay extra for insurance in the event of evacuation. So, if there are any of you out there who enjoy 'fun in the sun' and sand in your suit and can pack your stuff in 30 minutes or less, let us know and we can give you more details.
Debby, we have kept an eye on all the flooding in and around St. Louis. (Steve's family all lives there.) I hope you have not had to worry about it. Thanks again for all you have done. Sue (Bon) Walden
PS: (July 14) I don't know what happened but I ended up sending the above message to myself. Since then I have been reading more about classmates. Some of them are doing amazing things. I'm guessing Cheryl Albig is at VA Tech? She must have been there last year during the shootings on campus. I have several friends whose grandkids attend Tech or who have kids who have. What a horrible, shocking event that was.
Congratulations upon your 18th anniversary! I enjoyed the pictures of your dogs-especially the one where they're looking out the window. Have you been able to get your mother settled in near you-in your area? As difficult as it is to care for an ailing parent having them close by makes it a little easier. We were living in Hawaii when my dad died and here in VA when my mother was ill/dying in FL. Having been an only child It was up to me to make all the decisions. None of it is easy.
We may end up in the St. Louis area sooner than we planned. One of Steve's younger sisters was diagnosed with a brain tumor last November. We talked to her oldest daughter last night and apparently she isn't doing well. The tumor (and subsequent surgery), affected the part of the brain that controls speech, motor skills, etc. Cancer is such an insidious disease.
Well, I must go for now. I look forward to reading more about others. Have a safe summer.